Sunday, March 21, 2010

Detroit


While I love the adventure of shooting new scenes, there is nothing good about seeing abandoned homes, hotels and former office buildings. Most of the shots begin to look the same and I often wait for a subject to enter my pictures. The old beat up car was a nice touch, but I needed the man getting in to help this picture stand out from the dozens of other abandoned buildings. I did not feel safe in the area so I stayed in my car to take the picture. My impression of the people in Detroit left me feeling like the outsider I was. I was respectful of people and mostly avoided taking pictures with people in them. One church I stopped by had a group of young men standing outside of it and it would have been a great picture, but I was smart enough to hold off. Sometimes I just ask permission, but in that particular case I do not think that would have been a good idea.

How can they re-build this once glorious city?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed and encouraged.