Sunday, March 21, 2010

Theatre turned Parking Garage


The Michigan Theatre has its own story but the gist of it is that it closed in 1978 after serving as a grand movie house. Now it is a parking garage with room for 20-30 cars, but there were only 4 or 5 parked there. The old Michigan Theatre was on my list of 10 places to visit in Detroit( I only got to 5 or 6 as it turns out), but I had no idea how to get inside. A nice man on a smoking break showed me the way in past security and I spent about an hour shooting in there and imagining what it must have been like in its prime.

The woman photgraphed here was also on a smoke break. The adjoining office building was mostly empty and depressing. I wandered around in there for 20-30 minutes just being curious. I noticed that I did not see many wokring people on my visit and when I did, they were on smoke breaks or driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed and encouraged.